ASTERISK

you may get wet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it anyways.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Bomb the Butte, not Beirut


When the weather’s bad and the swell is uncooperative, one is forced to improvise. Today the sun was shining like Mr. T’s neck and the waves were lining up like blue corduroy slacks. Unfortunately, the closest I could come to getting wet was constantly refreshing the buoy report: 5’ at 11 seconds.

Shutting down the computer at five, an idea crossed my mind. During numerous bike rides I had noticed a steep road above my house that just begged for a long board to grace its asphalt. It had been over a year since my last zoo bomb; since then I had moved across town and relegated my skating to the driveway.

Always one to put safety first, I dug up my helmet and headed to Rocky Butte. Situated in Portland’s deep northeast, Rocky Butte provides a beautiful 360-degree panorama of downtown, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, the Columbia River and the rest of the rugged valley.


Turning my back on the view, I dropped into a continuously breaking wave of concrete that unfurled as far as the eye could see. Gliding from heel to toe to heel to toe repeatedly as the tree-lined road reeled past, I realized skating provided the perfect training grounds for surfing. Power slides replaced cutbacks, and I managed to pull-off a few that effectively slowed me without pitching me ass over teakettle.

As I coasted into my driveway, my roommate, Silverstein, was in her car yammering on the phone. I quietly slid into the front seat and finagled a ride back up the butte to my car.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nash said...

G-nyus, if your board is still handy you might want to check out the OSP. Foul Pete is getting a crew of wheeled warriors to roll mt tabes sometime between now and sunday.

4:46 PM  
Blogger G said...

I might just have to don ye ol' helmet one more time. Bombing the roads always feels safer with a group of knuckle-heads. What time are we heading out tomorrow?

5:58 PM  
Blogger Foul Pete said...

That is exactly what skatboarding is, perfect training for surfing. Now, skateboarding on transitions is the perfect training for riding a fish...

...speaking of which, I heard a rumour you lads are thinking of constructing some form of half-pipe type thing?

1:45 PM  
Blogger G said...

The rumors are true...but to prove them more than mere speculation we need some knowledgeable foremen to tell us what to do. The plan is to build it at my bro Ean's house - 12' x 28', hopefully with Skate Lite. Any input would be welcomed...and my apologies if I dropped in on you yesterday - absolute tunnel vision. Just tell me to f-off next time. Hopefully, next time is not too far away (surfing, not dropping in on you).

5:22 PM  
Blogger Foul Pete said...

I'm down to help build/design as I'm sure Patrick is...

I'd say go as wide as you can possibly afford (in terms of space and money). If you are going 12' wide, I wouldn't go any bigger than 4' high. The wider you go the more you can attack the lip like a wave.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Chum said...

I still need trucks and rubber thingys to make it roll.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home