ASTERISK

you may get wet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it anyways.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

A cold one & a rolled one



Under the clear dark desert night roars a campfire. Seated around the blaze are family and friends. My family and my friends. This is the way it was when I was a kid. And, hopefully, this is the way it'll be when I'm old.

As of now, I'm neither young nor old. Just perfectly situated in the middle - snug as a bug in a rug. And that's just how I felt as the vino started to soften the edges. Amazing how the grime of daily life washes right off with a couple of glasses.

Wine may clean the grime, but a joint will dirtier it beyond recognition - like a pair of jeans fresh out the drier, only to be stained anew.

After smoking enough grass to floor an elephant, we began to play Trivial Pursuit. A difficult game at the best of times, it becomes down right comical under the influence. The only things I remember are asking to have the questions repeated, watching my parents' close personal friends eat their weight in Dorritos and, of course, lots and lots of giggling smiles.

In a game like that winners and losers are not separated by IQ points, but rather functioning brain cells. Though, I must say, the true winners were the ones who woke up the next morning without a throbbing head and an achy belly. Being on the losing side in all accounts, I woke up the next morning to hear my mom cheerily exclaim, "I only took a tiny toke."

I was caught half admiring her discretion and half peeing myself that my mother just said, "toke."

She had woken at the crack of dawn, no doubt, and was now recounting the night's hilarity to an abstemious friend, who upon hearing the tale proclaimed: "You had a cold one and a rolled one!"

Indeed.

4 Comments:

Blogger OS said...

*,

It's about time you lend your scribbing skills to the blogsphere.

It was a great night filled with trivial and indulgent pursuits under a bold desert sky. Fortunately it was all washed clean and clear by our five mile run and an icy dip in the Metolious the next day which brought new meaning to cold and rolled.

OS

10:28 AM  
Blogger Chum said...

Let's get cold and rolled this weekend, sea-doggies!

7:46 PM  
Blogger G said...

Thanks for the support boys. This weekend, not to mention all next week, looks perfect for one last glimpse of sun and surf. Goes without saying we should get cold and rolled.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gabe, nice stories and pictures hard to believe all those sufers are on the Oregon coast, looks like it should be Hawaii. I deny your allegations but smile that my alleged word can still surprise my offspring...Mama

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home